Beautiful Vintage BMW! 5.24.22 FINALLY have the time to get this BEAUTIFUL low mile R90/6 back on the lift to get our rehab completed!
We got this BEAUTIFUL low mile R90/6 running, and put on a 423 mile test ride. We found a few flaws, but we are taking care of them all now!
6.04.22: First, and most important, somebody previously mangled the main wire harness; so it got a really nice used one was installed! The motor checks out very well, performance wise, but there are some minor oil leaks, so we are going to replace the flywheel seal (Rear Main seal) and oil pump O'ring. While we are there we will clean and inspect the clutch. Next we are pulling the heads and cylinders on both sides to replace the pushrod tube seals. Only the left side has a minor leak, but we are going ahead and doing both sides.
We're going to mount & balance new tires, and finish doing the 10K Major Service which was interrupted when we decided that we needed to get All the Florida BMWs running and extensive test ridden, to see what we really had.
The front brake master cylinder was not working correctly, so we installed a factory rebuilt master cylinder.The steering neck bearing was replaced. While the fork was off for the steering bearings, we' went though the forks too; cleaning and inspecting all, and installing new fork seals, crush washers, etc., and of course fresh fork oil.
The test ride showed us that the indicator lights were not functioning correctly consistently; so we installed a new LED Kat Dash instrument board. While we have the instrument case apart, we cleaned and serviced the Speedo & Tach for continued optimum performance.
One interested prospective new owner was wanting a nice R90/6, with the smaller 18 Liter fuel tank, so we found a nice spare tank, and our painter has just started the refinishing process, so we'll have one available should he decide this R90/6 is the one for him. While he's at it, he's also painting 4 sets of black battery covers, because we did not get any with the bikes!
We've rubbed out and polished the original black fenders, and large (22 Litre) original fuel tank and they turned out very nice!
The previous owner home made a pair of individual pull wires for controlling the chokes, but they would let the chokes partially close while you were riding; BAD DESIGN!!!! We dug out a nice original choke lever and cables to restore the choke function to the dependable stock configuration with lever and push/pull cables.
6.11.22 Re-wiring the chassis, and all the front end work is finished, including the handle bars, new BMW throttle pipe and grips, and all hand controls. The new rear main seal and oil pump o'ring is installed. The clutch checked out nice, except for the pressure ring, which we are replacing.
Next week we will pull down the motor top end and reseal both sides, plus we're cleaning up the frame where the previous owner spray painted paint on top of dirt! It will all be nice and shiny when done.
We'll continue to keep you posted on how it's all going!